GREEN BANANAS: A High Potential Food Ingredient
- Green Bananas are very nutritious. They contain fiber, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and several other beneficial plant compounds. These nutrients may have a number of health benefits, such as for digestive and heart health.
- Bananas are amongst the world’s leading fruit crops which normally has a short shelf life. The fruit would usually start deteriorating just after harvesting. The quality of the bananas is also negatively affected by transshipment to market. Ripening is also a major concern. In order to overcome these problems processing of bananas is encouraged.
Green Banana Flour & its Benefits :
Banana flour is a revolutionary type of Super-Food.
Our Process –
This high-fiber flour is made from raw green bananas. Green bananas are peeled, chopped, gently dried using sun-dehydration methodology and then grounded into flour. Nihkan’s 100% natural & time-honoured process is performed in a sustainable scientific way which eliminates the need for preservatives, chemicals, colours or flavours and prolong its shelf life.
The green banana process requires 8-10 kg of raw green bananas to produce 1kg of banana flour.
Its Benefits –
- 100% Natural & Preservative free
- Gluten free – It is Grain/Wheat free. Green banana flour is made from green bananas which is a raw fruit.
- No chances of contamination – As banana plantations are always in all together separate area on bigger trees, the chances of cross contamination with other cereals is not there. Making it perfect for consumption by high-sensitive Gluten allergic consumers.
- Sugar free – Green bananas contains mostly starch and not sugar. As the banana ripens, its starch turns into sugar.
- High in dietary fibre – which is known as roughage or bulk, includes the parts of plant foods your body can’t digest or absorb. Unlike other food components, such as fats, proteins or carbohydrates — which your body breaks down and absorbs — fibre isn’t digested by your body. Instead, it passes relatively intact through your stomach, small intestine and colon and out of your body. A high fiber diet helps to maintain bowel health which plays an important role in preventing diseases of the colon, lowers cholesterol levels, helps control blood sugar levels and aids in achieving healthy weight.
- Rich in resistant starch -Most of the carbohydrates in your diet are starches. Starches are long chains of glucose that are found in grains, potatoes and various foods. But not all of the starch you eat gets digested. Sometimes a small part of it passes through your digestive tract unchanged. In other words, it is resistant to digestion. This type of starch is called resistant starch, which functions kind of like soluble fibre. Many studies in humans show that resistant starch can have powerful health benefits. This includes inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, constipation, diverticulitis and diarrhoea. Resistant starch also has various benefits for metabolic health. Several studies show that it can improve insulin sensitivity — the responsiveness of your body’s cells to insulin. Resistant starch is also very effective at lowering blood sugar levels after meals. What’s more, it has an ongoing effect, meaning that if you eat resistant starch with breakfast, it will also lower your blood sugar spike at lunch. The effect on glucose and insulin metabolism is very impressive. Some studies have found a 33–50% improvement in insulin sensitivity after four weeks of consuming 15–30 grams per day.
- Aids in Weight Loss by Improving Satiety – Resistant starch has fewer calories than regular starch — two vs four calories per gram. The higher the resistant starches content in a food, the fewer calories it will have. Several studies show that soluble fibre supplements can contribute to weight loss, primarily by increasing feelings of fullness and reducing appetite. Resistant starch appears fullness and makes people eat fewer calories.
- Low GI – Low-glycemic foods are slower to raise a person’s blood sugar levels than foods with moderate or high scores on the glycemic index.
- Seriously Nutritious – High in essential minerals and vitamins including zinc, vitamin E, magnesium, and manganese, green-banana flour is also abundant in potassium – so much so that just two tablespoons contain the same amount as seven whole bananas! It also helps lower cholesterol, boosts heart health, and aids nerve and muscle activity.
- It Doesn’t Taste Like Bananas the advantage here is that you can use it as a substitute for ordinary flour in pretty much anything. It has a subtle, almost nutty taste that won’t affect the flavour of the dish you’re preparing.
- Vegan & Paleo friendly – Green-banana flour is also dairy-free, nut-free, and soy-free, making it perfect for vegans and those on the Paleo diet.
APPLICATION of Green Banana Flour :
- SUPER FOOD – It has a very mild, neutral taste. It’s off-white, greyish colour and can be used in raw or in cooked recipes. As a supplement, simply add 1-2 tablespoons to your smoothie, yoghurt, juice or whatever raw food you are having that can handle a little extra “superpowers.”
- GLUTEN FREE MEALS – Make gluten free ROTIS / Parathas using banana flour or mix with other gluten free flours or wheat flour for nutritious healthy diet.
- INFANT/BABY food – It is used as an essential component for production of baby foods. It’s like a super food for babies. Helps in improving immunity. It is power packed with potassium and other vital nutrients. It is easy to digest. Promotes healthy brain function. Make delicious Pancakes, waffles etc.
- BAKERY products, confectioneries – You can substitute banana flour for all-purpose flour (Maida) in baking recipes. Use 30% less than the normal flour. the best alternative to carb rich grains and it is gluten-free which renders baked products its desired sponginess.
- SMOOTHIES & SHAKES – Adding a teaspoon will give you the required texture and it won’t affect your beverage taste.
- SALAD DRESSINGS – Use banana flour to thicken salad dressings. One tablespoon is plenty to thicken one cup of salad dressing.
- As a THICKENING AGENT for Gravies ,Curries & sauces –Add a tablespoon of Banana flour to your recipe instead of using cornflour or refined flour
- VEGAN – As it is a fruit powder, can be used in all Vegan diets.
- Nutraceuticals – Regulates digestion